[The following is part of Morgan's letter to his son enclosed in the above to Wesley:]

January 31, 1734.

What, Dick, did you so soon forget our stipulations and condi­tions on your going to the University, as to carry a greyhound with you to Oxford, and to attempt keeping him in your college, contrary to the rules of it? Did not you promise to stick to your studies and be as subservient to your tutor as if you were a servitor? I vowed to you before, and now I vow again, that if you follow an idle, vicious, or extravagant life, you shall never inherit my fortune. You are now in the hands of a gentleman (it is my happiness and so you may reckon it too) that has more honor and conscience than to conceal your faults from me. Your duty to God is always in the first place to be duly attended. Go to bed by times; rise early. Omit no one college duty. Squander not away the morning in tea and chat. Never be seen out of your chamber in studying hours. For the rest I refer to your good tutor, who I am sure will not be wanting in his instructions to you without engaging you in that Society which I am not for. Banish your dog immedi­ately. Quid de quoque viro, et cui discus saepe cavito. [Horace's Epistles, I. xviii. 68: ' Beware what you say about any one and to whom you say it.'] Always imagine what you do will be known.

No comments: