February 14, 1736, The Imitation of Christ

Dear and Gentle Readers,
I wish to gaive thanks for the texts of my favorite books. And here, forthwith, I present to you selections and a modicum of background information on those most esteemed texts. As for myself, I will attempting hard labour for our small group, as there needs to be decent and sturdy housing for our company. I will lead my small flock in prayer, study of the scripture, the singing of hymns and exhortation for two or three hours before breaking my fast and then we will build. Godspeed to you today and may we all pattern our lives after the example of Jesus Christ.
JW



Thomas a Kempis

Thomas Hemerken was born at Kempen, near Cologne Germany around the year 1380 AD. Born into a poor family, educated at the school of the Brethren of the Common Life, he entered the Canons Regular in the year 1399 where he took the habit in 1406. He performed the work of a spiritual director. His best known writing is The Imitation of Christ. He died in 1471.

The First Chapter
IMITATING CHRIST AND DESPISING ALL
VANITIES ON EARTH

"HE WHO follows Me, walks not in darkness," says the Lord. By these words of Christ we are advised to imitate His life and habits, if we wish to be truly enlightened and free from all blindness of heart. Let our chief effort, therefore, be to study the life of Jesus Christ.

The teaching of Christ is more excellent than all the advice of the saints, and he who has His spirit will find in it a hidden manna. Now, there are many who hear the Gospel often but care little for it because they have not the spirit of Christ. Yet whoever wishes to understand fully the words of Christ must try to pattern his whole life on that of Christ.

1 comment:

Divers and Sundry said...

I remember when I first discovered this book. I had found a treasure! I look forward to reading what you and your commenters have to say on the great Christian classics and their authors.

I found your blog through the post on the methoblog. I'm enjoying the increasing Methodist presence online.