Saturday, February 7, 1736 -- Vain Words

Mr. Oglethorpe returned from Savannah with Mr. Spangenberg, one of the pastors of the Germans. I soon found what spirit he was of and asked his advice with regard to my own conduct. He said, “My brother, I must first ask you one or two questions. Have you the witness within yourself? Does the Spirit of God bear witness with your spirit that you are a child of God?” I was surprised, and knew not what to answer. He observed it and asked, “Do you know Jesus Christ?” I paused and said, “I know He is the Saviour of the world.” “True,” replied he; “but do you know He has saved you?” I answered, “I hope He has died to save me.” He only added, “Do you know yourself?” I said, “I do.” But I fear they were vain words.

1 comment:

Theresa Coleman said...

Dear Mr. Wesley,
Your posting is slightly disturbing to me. It seems as if you are implying that Mr. Spangenberg is saying that there is more to being a christian than you now possess!

Would others care to comment on this?