Charles' Journal, March 29, 1736

Mon., March 29th. I was revived by those words of our Lord: "These things have I spoken unto you, that you should not be offended. They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service. And these things will they do unto you, because they have not known the Father, nor me." "In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." (John xvi. 1-3, 33.)

Knowing I was to live with Mr. Oglethorpe, I had brought nothing with me from England, except my clothes and books; but this morning, asking a servant for something I wanted, (I think a tea-kettle,) I was told Mr. Oglethorpe had given orders that no one should use any of his things. I answered, that order, I supposed, did not extend to me. "Yes, Sir," says she, "you were excepted by name." Thanks be to God, that it is not yet made capital to give me a morsel of bread.

2 comments:

Theresa Coleman said...

Dear Charles,
It does not sound as if you are cut out for this life. I hope you and General Oglethorpe can work things out. Try being pleasant.

Anonymous said...

Praise God that you did not hope to toast that bit of bread! Charges for use of the fire might be excessive, and a toasting fork dear as diamonds.