Charles' Journal, March 9, 1736

TUESDAY, March 9th , 1736, about three in the afternoon, I first set foot on St. Simon's island, and immediately my spirit revived. No sooner did I enter upon my ministry, than God gave me, like Saul, another heart. So true in that [remark] of Bishop Hall: "The calling of God never leaves a man unchanged; neither did God ever employ any one in His service, whom He did not enable to the work He set him; especially those whom He raises up to the supply of His place, and the representation of Himself." The people, with Mr. Oglethorpe, all arrived the day before.

The first who saluted me on my landing was honest Mr. Ingham, with his usual heartiness. Never did I more rejoice at the sight of him; especially when he told me the treatment he had met with, for vindicating the Lord's day: such as every Minister of Christ must meet with. The people seemed overjoyed to see me: Mr. Oglethorpe in particular received me very kindly.

I spent the afternoon in the conference with my parishioners. (With what trembling ought I to call them mine !) At seven we had evening prayers, in the open air, at which Mr. Oglethorpe was present. The lesson gave me the fullest direction, and greatest encouragement: "Continue instant in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving; with praying also for us, that God would open unto us a door of utterance, to speak the mystery of Christ; that I may make it manifest, as I ought to speak. Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time. Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man." "Say to Archippus, Take heed to the ministry which thou hast received of the Lord, that thou fulfil it." (Col. iv. 2--6, 17.) At nine I returned, and lay in the boat.

2 comments:

John said...

With what trembling ought I to call them mine !

Very wise, Rev. Wesley, for they are God's parishioners entrusted to their pastor, just as Christ taught about the king who entrusted talents to his servants while he went on a long journey.

gavin richardson said...

did you take the trolley ride around st. simon's island? i didn't but i hear it is a great way to check out things once you get there.